Vivid Sydney 2019 – Dates Confirmed!
Vivid Sydney Dates? Confirmed Official Dates for Vivid Sydney 2019 – 24th of May the Festival of Lights will run from 6:00pm until 11:00pm every night until the 15th of June 2019.
Australia’s largest city will once again host the Award Winning Vivid Sydney with it’s renowned and exciting program of light installations, fantastic live music, art shows, ideas and talks, panels plus a whole lot more!
With a diverse lineup of artists and experts from a number of creative and scientific backgrounds, Vivid Sydney will explore a wide range of topics and showcase where tech meets art, mesmerising digital light shows and jam out with a plethora of exciting musical powerhouses and local underground talent. Launching in 2009, Vivid Sydney is now one of the largest festival’s and Tourist Attractions in Australia and this year’s 2019 Vivid Sydney event is set to be bigger than ever.
- As always, the Sydney Opera House will play host to a number of key events during Vivid Sydney. Not the least of these is the Lighting of the Sails, which transforms the Opera House into a moving, multicoloured canvas on each night of the festival.
- At Darling Harbour, Light projections, lasers and water fountains will transport spectators into a world of shimmering corals and bioluminescent jellyfish. Sydney Harbour, cruise ships and numerous other vessels will also light up to become part of the colourful landscape at Harbour Lights in 2019.
- Taronga Zoo and its ever-popular Lights for the Wild showcase, with new flotilla’s of animal light sculptures sharing an important message about conservation.
- The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney will once again feature a number of amazing light installations. Meander along the interactive pathway’s, explore the pulsating botanics and submerge yourself in the rolling waves and stunning reflections.
- Further north, The Concourse at Chatswood will feature a 360-degree light projection of stars, planets, and the wider universe in a new installation. Chatswood will also welcome the Light Market again, a pop-up street market comprised of recycled materials, lasers, and scaffolding.
- Visit The Rocks to enjoy dozens of light installations and a range of events and conferences from the Vivid Sydney Ideas program. Swim, jump and move through thousands of virtual holograms and stand beneath a canopy of 1000 Cranes which light up as visitors gather beneath them.
- Barangaroo was a popular addition in 2018 and will return for 2019, transforming into an illuminated promenade inspired by water, earth and fire. Those who arrive before 9pm might also discover a huge, luminescent puppet ambling along the waterfront!
- In the CBD, Macquarie Place Park will light up with a number of beautiful displays.
Live Performances and Events are being kept hush this year, but to give you an example of the quality of performances and events all you need to do is check out Vivid Sydney 2019 music program here << Vivid Sydney 2018 included international performances by Solange, Ice Cube, Mazzy Star, Iron & Wine and St. Vincent all played massive shows alongside local talents such as Vera Blue, Haiku Hands and Goldheist. Performance venues featured at Vivid Sydney 2018 included the Sydney Opera House, Carriageworks, and the Enmore Theatre.
Since the launch of Vivid Sydney in 2006 Sydney has welcomed unique performances and events such as the Heaps Gay Qween’s Ball at Sydney Town Hall, Innovators in Jazz at City Recital Hall, and Vivid Art After Hours at the Art Gallery of NSW. X|CELERATE event series partnered with Vivid Sydney and leading music venues in Kings Cross, Newtown, Redfern, Surry Hills and many more.
Vivid Sydney is also a place for creative minds to share ideas. Join the masterminds and creative catalysts at Vivid Ideas. Vivid Sydney 2018 Highlights included: Deep dive with film-maker James Cameron and his scientific endeavours. Examining AI with Jane McGonigal and Kriti Sharma. Dan Goods inspiring the audience, he’s also the Visual Strategist for NASA, listening to Deus ex Machina founder Dare Jennings and being enlightened by surfer, skater and environmental activist, Peggy Oki. Vivid Sydney 2019 will feature a range of new and exciting conferences and events discussing everything from hit podcasts, sustainable design and the consequences of AI plus much more!
Have your say, share ideas and listen to an impressive line up of expert speakers at the Vivid Ideas Exchange. Throughout Vivid Sydney, the MCA will host numerous workshops and discussion panels exploring a range of ideas, including wearable art, blockchain technology and algae cultivation.
You don’t need to be a profesional photographer to perfectly capture this year’s Vivid Sydney Festival of Lights. I’ll fill you in on a little secret if you do want some stunning photos of Sydney in all its Vivid Sydney glory, look for high vantage points on either side of Sydney Harbour, near Sydney Harbour Bridge, or even in the CBD.
For the perfect profesional panorama, try shooting from the Overseas Passenger Terminal or the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Alternatively, head right to the water’s edge and shoot from a low angle to capture all the beautiful colours reflecting off the water at Circular Quay Local. Don’t forget to show off those photo skills and spread the Vivid Sydney love with#vividsydney
If possible, arrive early: Vivid Sydney 2019 will be on every night from 6pm – 11pm for three weeks, so you can take your time exploring all of the awe-inspiring displays. To miss the crowds, enjoy better views and a more hands-on expereince, try visiting early in the evening and early in the week. One Tip – make sure you check for updates on this page or the Vivid Sydney 2019 host event on Circular Quay Local, there will be loads of exclusive last minute discounts and deals, such as 50% off Vivid Harbour Cruises, 2 for 1 Dining offers in Circular Quay Local, The Rocks and the Sydney CBD, Cocktails and Champagne for Half the price at 5 Star hotels all within walking distance to Vivid Sydney 2019 – Don’t miss out, keep an eye out for our exclusive Vivid Sydney 2019 updates!
Being smart about getting to Vivid Sydney: Most of Sydney CBD will be closed to cars over the VIVID period, so it’s in your best interest to utilise our public transport system and to bypass road closures, congestion and competition for that rare parking space. The closest train stations to this year’s precincts are Circular Quay Local, Kings Cross Local, Wynyard, Martin Place, Central, Town Hall, and Chatswood.
Keep kids close: Vivid Sydney every year attracts massive crowds, so be sure to keep an eye on your little ones at all times. ID wristbands are available at the Vivid Sydney Information Booths, but just in case your child does get lost, it may be worth agreeing on a meeting spot where they go if they do accidently wander off.
Plan ahead – beat the crowds: View maps, find attractions, plan your itinerary and stay up to date with all the latest information via the Vivid Sydney app. You can also visit Vivid Sydney or the Vivid Sydney 2019 Event.